We know that improvements in our schools, colleges and settings will only be achieved where there is strong leadership.
The Portsmouth Education Partnership has embarked on a collaborative programme of school improvement which is led by the School Leadership and Effectiveness Board and supported by our work with all stakeholders within the partnership. The work of the board embeds shared values and builds on the historically strong relationships between the local authority and the education sector in Portsmouth, supplementing, without duplicating, work within MATs and the Teaching School Council.
The current focus of the School Leadership and Effectiveness Board is to support the implementation of the Portsmouth Education Strategy 2020-2023 and contribute to overall themes of the strategy, leading on priority 1:
Strong leadership and ambition at all levels within individual schools to improve effectiveness and outcomes for children and young people.
We continue to support the development of subject networks in the city, particularly in order to provide more support for middle leaders to develop subject knowledge, high quality curriculum planning and a clear understanding of the importance of sequencing learning in order to improve the quality of education. Other focused work is often on assessment, differentiation and supporting learners from vulnerable groups.
These subject network groups are inclusive of middle leaders within multi academy trusts and LA maintained schools, some being led by practitioners themselves and others by specialists or advisory staff. More information can be found in each of the subject areas within the tabs listed on the Curriculum and CPD page.
Support for governors
Portsmouth City Council offer four areas of service to Portsmouth schools and academies:
1. Portsmouth governor briefing sessions
All governors at Portsmouth LA maintained schools and academies are warmly invited to attend the termly governor briefing sessions which cover a range of topics that will be interest and relevance to governors in Portsmouth. These briefings are currently taking place virtually over Microsoft Teams running from 4.30pm – 6.00pm. The dates for the 2021/22 school year are as follows:
- Autumn term – Tuesday 12 October 2021
- Spring term – Wednesday 26 January 2022
- Summer term – Thursday 12 May 2022
All new governors who have joined a Portsmouth school governing within the last year are also invited to attend the New Governor Induction which will take place virtually over Microsoft Teams from 4.30pm – 6.00pm on Wednesday 29 September 2021.
To book a place and receive a link for any of these the meetings please email [email protected] by midday on the day before the session.
2. Access to specialist support for governors
This is provided through the Portsmouth National Leader of Governance (NLG) network. An initial consultation is provided free of charge, with follow up work commissioned directly from the relevant NLG. The normal daily rates are around £200-250 per day. For more information see the Portsmouth Traded Services website.
3. A governor recruitment service
School governor and academy trustee positions are advertised on the Portsmouth Together (Hive Portsmouth) website. The council has also been running a governor recruitment campaign amongst PCC staff and with partner organisations. A template advert for schools to use is available to download. Please email completed templates to [email protected].
4. Signposting to additional sources of support, advice and training
A number of other organisations provide support for school governors on a range of matters on either a free or paid for basis:
- Hampshire Governor Services offers a one stop shop for training and support for governors in Hampshire, Portsmouth and Southampton.
- The National Governance Association offers a consultancy and training service which is open to all governing boards in England.
- Solent Governance specialises in working with boards seeking to improve their collective skills to deliver more effective governance. Tailored training packages, as well as pay-as-you-go services, are available. In addition, termly governor induction and refresher training is available for governors to access. Solent Governance offers training, development and support services for all types of schools on a subscription or pay as you go basis. For further details see the flyer or website.