The DFE has launched their latest round of Condition Improvement Fund for Academies, details of which can be found on the DFE website. New applicants must register on the DFE portal by midday on Friday 29 November, and the deadline for completed bids is midday on Friday 13 December.
- The 2019/20 academic year will be busy, with three major capital projects now on site at Admiral Lord Nelson School, Charter Academy and The Portsmouth Academy. These three schemes are due for completion by September 2020, providing additional secondary school places. There is also further work at the Cliffdale Academy in the Early Years area and a scheme at Redwood Park Academy to improve the accommodation for SEND pupils in those schools.
- The new school at Arundel Court is due to be handed over by January 2020.
- Work will begin shortly on the new school for Mayfield, which is due to be completed by September 2021.
- Funding for a new 66 place school for pupils with autism was granted by Lord Agnew in July 2019. The school will be built on the site of the old Wymering Community Centre and is due to open in September 2022.
- During the summer 2019, projects at Cliffdale Academy and The Lantern (satellite site for Mary Rose school) to provide suitable accommodation for SEND pupils were completed. Also, the replacement school at Beacon View Academy was finished, just in time for the start of the autumn term.
DFE guidance on school organisation issues can be found here.
To discuss a potential school reorganisation, for example a change to the school’s admissions number, age range, or status, please contact [email protected]
The following suite of documents outlines Portsmouth’s plans in relation to school place planning. The documents and relevant appendices can be found here:
- School Organisation Policy Statement
- Primary School Place Strategy
- Secondary School Place Strategy
- Special Provision Place Strategy
Portsmouth City Council provides a range of services to help schools manage their buildings and estates including health and safety, buildings statutory compliance support, grounds maintenance, cleaning support, and tree management.